The modern business world’s landscape is all about finding innovative techniques to improve a company’s digital presence and marketing strategies to improve sales, and thus, profits.
Are you thinking about a career in digital marketing, but are unsure if you know the answer to the question – are digital marketing degrees worth it? Do you know the difference between a digital marketing certificate vs degree?
The marketing slice of the business world has taken on new life in the 21st century. Online and digital marketing now encompasses the realms of blogs, ‘click-per’ ads, social media presence, and of course, a viable, user-friendly website.
Digital marketing is an important business concept that is now used by large international corporations as well as the ‘Mom ‘n Pop’ stores down the road. As such, digital marketing has grown too large, in-demand careers in today’s job market.
Digital marketing has, over the past few decades, become a hot career path, mostly because the degree offers a variety of creative (and lucrative) paths. Because of the relative newness of the digital marketing programs, many of the programs available have only recently been launched, so digital marketing degree programs vary. Let’s review some of the available options regarding digital marketing degree programs.
The accreditation process is a comprehensive review of the contents/quality of higher learning institutions and the programs they offer. IN the U.S., accreditation is how students, parents, and government agencies know that the education promised is the education and degree promised by the school/college/university.
More specifically, accreditation is a standardized process where oversight agencies – officially sanctioned to perform such functions – evaluate a school and program’s standards against a set of predetermined criteria.
The mission of accreditation has been developed to accomplish these objectives –
- The development and improvement regarding the overall quality of the nation’s academic systems and resources.
- The protection of the public by ensuring professional schools, universities, & colleges are held to reasonable standards and are accountable to the programs and education offered/promised.
There are two primary levels of accreditation recognized in the United States – Regional Accreditation & Specialized Accreditation. Each of these accreditation processes are discussed below.
Regional accreditation is the oldest of the accreditation processes. It is managed and administered by the federal government agency known as CHEA – the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
Regional accreditation agencies are organized into six regional zones across the United States. These regional accreditation agencies are responsible for evaluating institutions of higher learning comprehensively. Each regional agency manages the accreditation processes to those schools within its region’s borders.
- The Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
- New England Commission on Higher Education (NECHE)
- Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities (NWCCU)
- WASC Senior College & University Commission (WSCUC)
- Middle States Commission of Higher Education (MSCHE)
- Southern Association of Colleges & Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
Regional accreditation represents quality education. It is accomplished by specifically evaluating the school’s curriculum and the educator’s credentials, among other relevant topics. In total, regional accreditation establishes some validity or credibility to the schools they assess.
Another type of accreditation is called specialized accreditation. As its name suggests, specialized accreditation is a more specialized type of procedure. It is typically performed by oversight agencies that have been sanctioned by either an industry’s professional organizations or, in some cases, by governmental agencies.
Specialized Accreditation for Digital Marketing
While there are no specific accreditation agencies dedicated to digital marketing specifically, there are professional marketing accreditation agencies that do evaluate what are noted as accredited online digital marketing courses.
In the realm of digital marketing, the American Marketing Association (AMA) and Digital Marketing institute offers an accredited digital marketing course online that results in industry-wide accepted credentials and certifications. Of course, the AACSB also accredits many business schools which offer digital marketing programs.
The Digital Marketing institute partners with more than 130 companies/colleges/trainers/universities in the delivery of accredited digital marketing courses.
Digital Marketing Degree Types
Digital media and marketing students are offered a wide array of specialties and academic tracks within the digital marketing realm. These topics include –
- Graphic Design
- Social Media Marketing
- Digital Analytics
- Mobile Application Advertising
- Public Relations
- Email Marketing
- Search Engine Optimization
- Web Design
- Digital Advertising
- Content Creation & Strategy
- Virtual Reality
- Ethics, Social Responsibility, and Business-Related Issues, among many others.
In the modern digital business age, marketing options have grown exponentially, independent of the size of the company. These various digital marketing specialties have grabbed a significant portion of most company’s marketing budgets.
As technology climbs the innovation ladder, digital marketing is bound to become even more important for building or maintaining a profitable business.
It is fascinating to note that digital marketing is not a business-needs-based service. Online visibility and reputation management has now become a major player in the digital marketing game. Because digital marketing is a marketing sector that constantly evolves – at a rapid rate – companies are forever trying to keep pace with these technological and marketing innovations. This is one of the fundamental reasons that digital marketers are, and will remain, in strong demand.
Next, let’s look at some of the digital marketing options with regards to certificates, baccalaureate, and master’s degree options.
Certificates Programs in Digital Marketing
Obtaining one of the top certificates in digital marketing to get a job should be one of your educational objectives, whether you are just starting out in your career or wish to further your current professional responsibilities and compensation.
The best online digital marketing certificate programs act as a springboard towards a rewarding career in digital marketing. The best online digital marketing certificates offer exciting opportunities and, often, an important competitive advantage when applying for work.
Digital marketers must maintain a bit of a visionary approach as the industry evolves at a fairly quick clip. As such, the best digital marketing certificate programs online keep digital marketing professionals abreast of the latest trends occurring within the digital marketing arena.
Hiring managers specifically seek industry professionals who have completed one of the best online digital marketing certificate programs, as earning one of the best online digital marketing certification options reflects the digital marketer’s commitment to staying current on the digital front.
As you consider you best digital marketing certificate online options, consider these bests online digital marketing certificate credentials –
- Google Analytics IQ Certification – this credential is the perfect accompaniment for the social media whiz who wants to springboard to a career in digital marketing.
- Google Ads Marketing Certification – this certification’s exam includes these topics – campaign setup, execution, online advertising, management, and optimization, among others.
- HubSpot Content Marketing Certification – the HubSpot credential explores the efficacy of content over time. It includes relevant content that is engaging and authentic and communicates the exact message needed.
- Facebook BluePrint Certification – this credential offers two options –
- The Certified Buying Professional
- The Certified Planning Professional
- Machine Learning Credential (Stanford University) – this certification is available through Coursera and explores machine learning from a professional practice perspective. (There are numerous other free certifications from reputable MOOCS.)
- Hootsuite Social Marketing Certification – this certification offers students the opportunity to learn Hootsuite, the most popular of all management platforms for social media. free social media training courseHootsuite offers a free training course.
As you consider the best online digital marketing certificate options available in the education marketplace, it is important to consider earning your baccalaureate degree in digital marketing as well. These options are discussed below.
Bachelor’s Degree Programs in Digital Marketing
A digital marketing career is best supported by earning a bachelor’s level degree from, at the very least, a regionally accredited institution of higher education. Digital marketing students are taught to –
- Create marketing campaigns.
- Execute marketing campaigns.
- Analyze customer behavior.
- Evaluate KPIs (Key Performance Indicators).
Prior to making the concluding decision as to which program you may wish to attend – be certain you can answer this question – What is a digital marketing degree?
And, although it seems like a fairly straightforward question, the reality is the best digital marketing degree programs are offered through a variety of different baccalaureate options. Among the many best online digital marketing degrees available are –
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration is one of the best digital marketing degree options, offered with a major in
- Digital Marketing Major.
- Luxury Brand Management.
- Business and Law.
- Bachelor of Science (BS), or Bachelor of Arts (BA) in –
- Media and Communications.
- Global Marketing.
- Marketing and Psychology.
- Digital Forensics.
- Strategic Marketing and Business.
- Advertising & Digital Marketing Communications, among many other options.
Some of the best digital marketing degrees are available at the graduate level as well. These graduate degrees in digital marketing are discussed next.
Best Digital Marketing Masters Programs
Digital Marketing degrees, at all levels, teach degree candidates the ways in which to effectively promote the brand, services, and products using online marketing channels, proven marketing strategies, and high-tech analysis tools.
As digital marketing has gained tremendous market share, it has slowly begun to replace the more traditional marketing techniques of old. At the master’s level, many of the best digital marketing master online degrees are offered through Master of Business Administration (MBA) programs in business schools across the country.
One of the reasons that an MBA with a digital marketing academic specialty is considered one of the best online masters in digital marketing is that degree candidates receive a comprehensive business education. A well-rounded business education creates the best online masters in digital marketing degree program as it allows students to understand how marketing fits into the entire business operations.
The more purist of digital marketers might prefer to earn their Master of Science (MSc) in Digital Marketing, which explores digital marketing theories and concepts combined with the development of practical insight and real-world applications. This masters in digital marketing online degree option cover topics that include –
- Consumer Psychology.
- Social Media.
- SEO & SEM.
- Digital Marketing, among others.
Another academic approach to digital marketing includes earning one of the best masters in digital marketing – one related to the more high-tech side of the digital marketing field – computer science.
Another online masters degree in digital marketing degree option is a graduate online masters in digital marketing in information systems, which prepares graduates for rewarding digital marketing careers. The information systems online masters degree in digital marketing program includes coursework in –
- Web Design.
- Database Management and Design.
- Computer Security.
- Digital Marketing, to name a few.
The reality is that a graduate degree in information systems offers degree candidates a specialty or concentration within the degree program, which in this case, can be a digital marketing specialty.
Digital Marketing Careers
Digital marketing graduates are tasked with the responsibility of boosting personal brands, products, and services – whatever a company is selling or providing. The reality is as online media reaches further to even the distant regions of the globe, the need and demand for professional and effective digital marketers will expand as well.
Digital marketing careers often integrate professional skills from the fields of business, marketing, and technology, among others. An example of this relates to the field of web design, which is clearly a part of a company’s online marketing decisions but also requires an IT specialist to accomplish the task of creating an engaging website. Combining technical skills with marketing savvy creates an unbeatable and competitive digital marketer.
Digital Marketing Certificate Jobs
Are you ready to begin considering some of the many entry level digital marketing jobs available to those who hold –
- Digital Marketing Certificate Jobs
- Digital Marketing Entry Level Jobs with a baccalaureate degree in digital marketing
- Entry Level Jobs In Digital Marketing with a master’s degree in digital marketing
Despite the level of your marketing job, whether it is an entry level digital marketing job or not – it is noted that working as a digital marketer means working in a fast-paced environment, with a changing landscape evolving at a pretty consistent pace.
SEO entry level digital marketing jobs would be tasked with keeping pace with search-engine algorithmic updates at all times. So, if you are fond of a busy career, with ever-changing tasks, an entry level digital marketing job will be a great fit.
It is possible to find digital marketing entry level jobs that do not require the applicant to hold a credential or certificate; however, the job applicant must have exceptional skills and the ability to convince potential employers of your talents. Entry Level Jobs In Digital Marketing require applicants to be versatile workers and to pitch in across many facets of the marketing plan.
Another way to put your foot into the door for an opening of an entry level digital marketing job is to see if they would accept you first, temporarily, as an intern. This kind of arrangement gives someone the opportunity to showcase your skills and the employer a chance to make an educated decision, with enough information to make such a decision.
Digital Marketing Degree Jobs – Bachelor’s Degree
What can you do with a digital marketing degree?
If you already possess a baccalaureate degree in digital marketing, the next step is to answer these questions –
- What can I do with a digital marketing degree?
- What can I expect my digital marketing degree salary?
- What are the available jobs with a digital marketing degree?
The statisticians at the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) categorizes digital marketing careers (and statistics) among a variety of different categories.
What Jobs Can You Get with a Digital Marketing Degree?
The good news is that there many different jobs you can get with a digital marketing degree. Check out these digital marketing degree jobs, which represent just a few of the many digital marketing careers available for those who hold a baccalaureate degree in digital marketing.
Search Engine Optimization Specialist
The search engine Google receives billions of searches every month. A digital marketer may specialize in search engine optimization, which is key to driving organic traffic to a website. SEO professionals can help optimize a business’s organic traffic through search engine algorithms, as users search the internet for products and services.
Online retail has exploded as consumers worldwide embrace the concept of internet shopping. As such, businesses have no choice but to invest in professional e-commerce to stay competitive. E-commerce is likely to grow as more and more businesses have built a viable online presence. Who would have ever thought an online car reseller would manage to be successful
Digital marketers have a clear understanding that website content is the primary force that drives digital marketing. Content is important for all digital media solutions like –
- A Paid-per-Click Advertisement.
- A Blog Post.
- A Social Media Post, among many others.
Digital marketers understand that content creation can make or break a marketing campaign that was otherwise well-planned.
Digital Marketing Masters Jobs
For those who commit and earn their graduate degree in digital marketing, it is important to answer these questions –
- What can I do with a masters in digital marketing?
- What are the available jobs with a masters in digital marketing?
According to the federal statisticians at the Bureau of Labor Statistics, these are the annual salaries available for eligible jobs in digital marketing –
|Masters in Digital Marketing Jobs||Masters in Digital Marketing Salary|
|Advertising Sales Agents||$53,310 per year|
|Public Relations/Fundraising||$116,180 per year|
|Graphic Designers||$52,110 per year|
|Sales Managers||$126,640 per year|
|Advertising & Marketing Managers||$135,900 per year|
Specific Careers: Manager and Digital Marketer
In 2019, there were nearly 315,000 marketing and promotional managers working in the United States. And, over the next decade, the statisticians anticipate a job growth rate of 6%, which is faster than the average of the anticipated job growth of all other jobs in the United States combined.
A Digital Marketing Manager Job Description
A job description of digital marketing manager includes the development and oversight of digital marketing campaigns and strategies. Many digital marketing manager job descriptions will also include these testing of digital tools and newly created platforms.
The job description of digital marketing will also require this professional to analyze and evaluate a website’s traffic using web analytic techniques. If you have considered applying for a job as a digital manager, consider these other digital marketing manager job descriptions –
- Tracking consumer’s purchase behavior is usually very much a part of the job description of digital marketing manager.
- Optimizing digital marketing campaigns is also included in most digital marketing job descriptions. This includes –
- Digital Advertising.
- Email Marketing.
- Social Media, among others.
A Digital Marketer Job Description
The job description of digital marketer primarily consists of being responsible for making sure that the business’s website is found easily by the company’s target market. A digital marketers job description includes these fundamental responsibilities –
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and SEM – a digital marketers job description will likely include the need to design the functionality and internal structure of the website.
- Social Networking – the job description of a digital marketer will likely include managing the company’s brand image and online social media presence. This digital marketer job description includes managing the company’s online presence using Google+, Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram, among others.
- Content Strategy – a job description for digital marketing specialists also includes managing a well-planned content strategy.
- E-commerce – very often, a digital marketing job description might include the responsibility of converting website traffic into online sales.
And while it is not always evident, it is noted that a job description of digital marketer also includes the management of wireless media.
Additionally, a digital marketing manager job description will also require these soft skills –
- Effective communication is an important component of the job description of a digital marketer.
- Time management skills are a must-have if you are to meet the requirements delineated in a job description for digital marketing professionals.
- Strategic thinking is a skill listed in a digital marketing job description, which is developed through education, training, and experience.
- Interpersonal skills are another must-have if you are reviewing digital marketing job descriptions with the intention of applying for this position.